[plug] Ubuntu - baaahhh!!!!! Humbug

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Tue Dec 26 15:09:09 WST 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-26 at 14:49 +0900, Timothy White wrote:
> On 12/26/06, Richard Meyer <meyerri at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I decided to try Ubuntu on my lappy today (well, actually Mint, rather,
> > and then Ubuntu), and I had the most irritating time.
> >
> > Both were quite happy to recognise the hardware on the lappy, so I told
> > them to go ahead and install. I had partitions set up for them to use
> > (formerly used by SLED 10), and both distros insisted that I hadn't
> > allocated a root partition, even though I could see it there - I can
> > assure you that if the lappy belonged to Canonical, Mr Shuttleworth
> > would be crying over the expense of piecing all the molecules back
> > together at this moment.
>
> Having a partition, is different from having it assigned as a root
> partition, especially if the partition contains data. What you need to
> do, in the installer, is ether select the partition, and tell it the
> mount point is / or, delete the partition, and tell the installer to
> use the free space on the disk.

Um yes, I _DID_ tell it to use it as root or "/" if you prefer - it
happened to be /dev/sda10 - so maybe Ubuntu can't count that high ;-)  -
anyway the "alternative" CD worked, but it seems to be a problem that
would make a W$ user halt in confusion (as it did me).

> If you get stuck, give me a buzz, I'm sure I can help. Ubuntu is
> normally a breeze to install!

It's installed now ---- I'm waiting for it to download all the fixes,
and then it's time to install KDE.

I _DO_ thank you for the offer though.

> Tim

Anybody using Linux Mint, BTW? I see good things about it. It appears to
be an attempt to make Ubuntu into a "usable desktop".   ;-)  Actually I
jest somewhat ....

There are II types of people - those who can count like Romans and
those who can't.

Linux Counter user #306629