[plug] daylight savings issue

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 09:43:19 WST 2006

> > No reboot is required, just symlink /etc/localtime to
> > /usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Perth
>
> wishful thinking - a reboot is definitely needed to get rid of some apps
> showing correct time, and others being an hour out.  Even
> stopping/starting the services that might be the problem didnt work, the
> symlink is irrelevant because if you dont have the symlink it wont
> work ... period.

The "instructions" that I know of are:
Change /usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Perth
Verify things like date now return the correct time
Restart all services that have anything remotely to do with time.
So in other words, go down to single user mode and then backup to
ensure all services have the new time.
I believe if you do the fixes before the Daylight Savings change over,
and everything is running with the new zone files, then when it
changes over, everything is just cherry! Or at least it was for me :D
Changing things /after/ the date isn't really ideal.

Tim
--
Linux Counter user #273956
Don't email joeblogs at scouts.org.au