[plug] daylight savings issue

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Dec 27 10:25:37 WST 2006

William Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au> writes:
>On Wed, 2006-12-27 at 09:14 +0900, Nikhil Jogia wrote:
>> William Kenworthy wrote:
>> > I found a reboot was the only way to straighten out such
>> > inconsistencies - I dont know how linux goes in the rest of the
>> > world with DST, but in Perth it sucks :(

This problem is due to the sudden change in zones.

If there had been reasonable "notice" of the change for Perth (e.g.
6 to 9 months), then it's likely that most systems would have been
rebooted because of a kernel patch, etc anyway.

The problem doesn't exist in other zones with already-established
timezone information.

>> > As far as I know, no fix exists for things like evolution.

>> No reboot is required, just symlink /etc/localtime to
>> /usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Perth

>wishful thinking - a reboot is definitely needed to get rid of some
>apps showing correct time, and others being an hour out.  Even

Restart the applications. This will cause them to read the new zone
information files. They will otherwise have an old copy cached.

>stopping/starting the services that might be the problem didnt
>work, the symlink is irrelevant because if you dont have the
>symlink it wont work ... period.

Restart postfix, syslogd, etc.

They need to read the new timezone information. The in-core copy
that they have is from before the change to the zone file.

Rebooting may be an OK solution for a small group of users but is
"unacceptable" when there are many users round the clock.
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | "If we let things terrify us,
 X   against HTML mail     |  life will not be worth living."
/ \  and postings          | Lucius Annaeus Seneca, c. 4BC - 65AD.