[plug] Prevent Gateway from redirecting

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Fri Dec 29 16:06:21 WST 2006

On Fri, Dec 29, 2006, Timothy White wrote:

> A number of things shouldn't go through the gateway though, and I
> don't want to be changing routes for them. Namely, VoIP needs the
> redirect so it can go straight via the modem (not just for lowest
> latency, but also because of it's physical connection, no point
> jumping through 2 switches just to jump back! And if someone in the
> house starts playing games...

I'd be surprised if VOIP going via your linux box made any actual
difference. Except, of course, when your Linux box was down.
If it did then you could just setup priority queueing on your Linux
box so it treated VoIP packets with higher priority and dequeued
them as such.

> >Still - just disable ICMP redirects. I'm sure there's a way to do selective
> >ICMP redirect responses based on iptables rules but it'll be more trouble
> >than
> >its worth in the long run.
>
> Any ideas on that? Once I finish recompiling my local kernel with
> iptables support (left out due to the fact it never needed it, being
> totally firewalled in with 2 other firewalls), I'll do the redirect
> locally, if I can work out which table it now needs to go in!!

Erm, which distro are you using? modprobe iptables should do the trick..

Nope, no idea. I haven't deployed that kinda stuff - I just turn off
ICMP redirects and configure routers right. :)

Adrian