[plug] Bluetooth headset connection issue

Adam Davin byteme-its at westnet.com.au
Wed Feb 1 14:02:53 WST 2006

Hello Alex, Senectus, Et al.

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 13:06:23 +0800
"Senectus ." <senectus at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/1/06, Alex Polglaze <apolglaze at book-keepingnetwork.com.au> wrote:
> > Have you considered that this might be a Skype issue? We have been
> > using Skype with a Logitech headset and we have found that after a
> > few days, we have to reboot the Linux box to get it working.
> >
> > Originally, we thought that it was because we had unplugged the usb
> > connection. Now we realise that it is just Skype. A reboot fixes it
> > every time.

It is not a skype issue. This is before skype is even running.

Process is something like:
Computer boots up, loads snd-bt-sco module from modules, starts
bluetooth
login as user,
startx,
start terminal,
su,
edit /var/lib/bluetooth/<BTaddress>/linksys and delete headset line
start another terminal as user
badger at owl:~$ btsco <BT headset Address>
btsco v0.41
Device is 1:0
Voice setting: 0x0060
<request pops up for pin>
RFCOMM channel 1 connected

Skype is not running.

Turn off headset
RFCOMM channel lost

Turn on headset
badger at owl:~$ btsco 00:0A:94:90:D4:ED
btsco v0.41
Device is 1:0
Voice setting: 0x0060
Can't connect RFCOMM channel: Permission denied

Switch to su terminal and edit /var/lib/bluetooth/<BTaddress>/linksys
and delete headset line and then

badger at owl:~$ btsco 00:0A:94:90:D4:ED
btsco v0.41
Device is 1:0
Voice setting: 0x0060
<Request pops up for pin>
RFCOMM channel 1 connected

For some reason, there seems to be some sort of issue with the
negotiations when using the pin information stored in the linksys file.
When pin information is deleted, then it re-requests the pin and all is
happy.

> Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the only time a reboot is required
> under linux is if you've made a kernel change ?
> So does that mean that Skype is making direct kernel requests?

Possibly not even then, I am sure I read something about a hook
somewhere in the latest kernels which allow you to swap them whilst
running. I could be wrong here though.

Thanks and Regards,

--

Adam Davin