[plug] Australia and New Zealand slow to take up Linux

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Sun Feb 5 09:56:25 WST 2006

On Thursday 26 January 2006 22:10, posix wrote:
> If Australia had their own Gnome or New Zealander's with their own
> Kiwi Gnome, maybe it would catch on.

I can't see the rest of the world being happy with a concrete
Aboriginal, spears or no, and I don't think the Wagyl would really be
all that widely understood.

The problem with an Australian gnome is that it varies (even amongst the
whitefellas) from region to region. I think the closest you'd get would
be a fluffy little koala, which would probably be an instant box-office
exploder with the Japanese and Koreans. A kangaroo (NSW Aboriginal
dialect for "WTF?") would be instantly and rudely rejected by the
Austrians. The friendly little Gecko, bless his little Van Der Waals
socks, has already been taken.

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia