[plug] Australia and New Zealand slow to take up Linux

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Sun Feb 5 10:12:15 WST 2006

On Thursday 26 January 2006 20:57, James Laurence Clarke wrote:
> But the message needs to be clear just what it is and why it's good,
> not like those OS/Warp advertisements that IBM must have spent a
> fortune on but no one knew what they were selling!

Er, no.

Sad to say, a list of facts is not very helpful no matter how relevant
and well presented. What people want to see is a gut-level association
between something desirable and the product -- which is why cigarette
ads sell pure, healthy-looking white clothes against tropical blue
water these days rather than lower tar levels or truth-in-advertising
slogans like "twice as many years to your last hacking, bubbling,
pain-wracked death-rattle".

Have a look at The Borg's ads: what are _they_ selling? Software?

Hah!

They're selling the twin ideas of creativity and a future. "Use our
product so you and your children will be brighter, happier and more
creative." Never mind inconvenient realities, like once you get past
specific 3rd-party apps (PhotoShop, DreamWeaver, etc), the actual core
product stifles creativity like no other, foreshadowing a locked-in
user-pays-and-pays-and-pays existence to make George Orwell cringe.

So you want to promote Linux and FOSS? Find simple, easily expressible
ways in which it has enriched your life ("never seen a virus"/"what's
spyware?"/"what do you mean, 'can't change' that?"/"updates? mine
happen safely and automatically. I never think about them"), then tie
those in to your "product". Even those examples are too technical,
although it would be relatively simple to do a good animation of Tux
warding off digital nasties, leaving a computer unscathed and happy.
"My computer never breaks" would be a good starting point. Make your
pronouncements airy, light and pleasant.

If you can drop a showstopper fact or two without interrupting the flow,
then by all means do so, but remember that said facts will only appeal
to a small minority in your audience. Flow, polish and positive
associations will do far more to win your day for most folks than any
number of "mundane" facts.

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia