[plug] ISPs in WA

Daniel Pearson gpearson at iinet.net.au
Mon Feb 6 17:59:46 WST 2006

Jonathan Young wrote:
> I'm not trying to flamebait, but 2 years is a LONG time in computing.

But when you look at things in terms of speed - it's pretty much peaked
for the time being, hence being safe to do so. As said, YMMV.
> In 2001 I would have said 256kbps was all I'd need.
>
> By 2003 I couldn't have managed on that.
>
> If in 2005 I'd signed a 2 year contract for 1.5Mbps, I reckon I'd be
> kicking myself now.
>
> Personally, I'd shell out the $149 to keep my freedom to switch, unless
> I could buy your way out later for similar money (i.e. <$200).

Which is a business decision that will be made, and made differently by
many different people. As being someone who has had ADSL since the late
90's, and only used 1 provider and never had issues, locking into such a
contract was never an issue.
> That said I always used my 56kbps, 256kbps and 512kbps connections to the
> limits as soon as I got them.  These days there is more speed available
> than I need on my connection so a part of the two years would be used up
> while I "grow into" a faster connection AND it is typically only every
> two years that I upgrade or switch ISP, even with the freedom to do so,
> so I guess I can see both sides.

Exactly :)