[plug] Slippery, secure file transfers

simon simon at chrome64.org
Wed Feb 8 17:19:43 WST 2006

Bernd Felsche (bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au) wrote:

> I ran into a problem with a cantankerous FTP server and
> equally-adept "support" staff of a business partner for one of my
> customers.
>
> Their FTP server doesn't work properly... "it works for everybody
> else" - the "everybody else" is actually that unwashed population
> using THEIR proprietary FTP windows client software to MANUALLY
> transfer EDI documents.

EDI.....brrrrrrrr

If the EDI of which you speak is the EDI I know of, and the broken FTP server
of which you speak is the broken FTP server I know of, you have my condolences
:)

I believe they munged the FTP server on purpose, and there was a vague but
poorly thought through reason for doing it :) Ive blocked most of this stuff
out, but I believe my mate (who was writing EDI stuff with my assistance)
ended up getting it to work with a hacked perl module :)

Be aware, they probably dont realise you can ssh in, and by avoiding their FTP
server you may be doing more harm than good - possibly it marks EDI documents
as you retrieve them? I really dont remember.....

--
Simon Scott
simon at chrome64.org
mob: 0409113359