[plug] Slippery, secure file transfers

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Wed Feb 8 18:48:48 WST 2006

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 04:56:25PM +0800, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> I ran into a problem with a cantankerous FTP server and
> equally-adept "support" staff of a business partner for one of my
> customers.
>
> Their FTP server doesn't work properly... "it works for everybody
> else" - the "everybody else" is actually that unwashed population
> using THEIR proprietary FTP windows client software to MANUALLY
> transfer EDI documents.
>
> So I gave up and tried to ssh into their server.... Bingo!
>
> Now all I need to do is to get Python speaking ssh.

If you want to drive sftp, perhaps expect would be a better tool than
python and libraries.  I've used it to drive telnet mostly, but it's
pretty darned good at it.

The only thing I didn't like about expect was having to learn tcl, but
only a minimal subset.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
Absolutely nothing should be concluded from these figures except that
no conclusion can be drawn from them.
	-- Joseph L. Brothers, Linux/PowerPC Project)