[plug] ISPs in WA

Mark J Gaynor mark at mjg.id.au
Wed Feb 8 21:44:03 WST 2006

On 8/02/2006 at 10:52 AM Leon Brooks wrote:

>On Wednesday 08 February 2006 10:09, Ranz wrote:
>> We used 9600 or even way back to a 2400 baud modem :)
>
>2400? You young whipper-snappers are just spoiled rotten. In my day, you
>used 1200/75 baud and loved it (the World Chip was the latest and
>greatest, and I watched Andrew Warenczak design, build and sell the
>First Nice Modem based on it) because it was ever so much better than
>the previous generation's 300 baud.

I was one of the first to use Andrew's 1200/75 modem in a BBS custom built
for the task. I think I was the only C64 BBS that was running at that time,
others had made the move to XT's or 286's. They could not believe a humble
C64 could have the same response as the  XT's or 286's. It just goes to
show
that processor power is not everything, you can win the game by good
programming
practices and work smarter not faster or harder.

Mark