[plug] alternative business strategy?

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Sun Feb 12 11:18:32 WST 2006

Sunday, 12 February 2006 08:42, Quintin Lette wrote:
> > Don't forget it's not just the price of MS-Office you are throwing
> > out the Window it's all the other MS software you can get rid of
> > when you migrate the entire office to Linux.
>
> don't forget that there is a retraining cost as well...

Have you seen the changes in upcoming Microsoft Office 12 (likely to be
released as Office 2007)? Even Microsoft-friendly PC World finds the
learning curve steep:

Consider the size of the leap in interfaces between the current version
of Microsoft Office and the new version on the one hand and Open Office
on the other, and tell us again that Open Office has a high retraining
cost.

The real cost saving, though, is in administrative overhead. MS Office
2000 and all versions of Microsoft Office 2003 currently have a
security hole rated as "highly critical", allowing remote system-level
exploits but which Microsoft hasn't been bothered to fix in, oh, ten
months:

http://secunia.com/advisories/14896/

They also have a "moderately critical" security hole which also allows
remote system-level exploits which has been known and unpatched for
over one and a half years (yes, years):

http://secunia.com/advisories/12041/

This lax attitude about fixing faults ultimately means costs to users in
terms of downtime, reinstallation, and the cost of having one's
information destroyed or unduly divulged to third parties.

That is where the real cost lies.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/