[plug] alternative business strategy?

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sun Feb 12 18:02:38 WST 2006

Quintin Lette <qlette at gmail.com> writes:
>> Scribus <http://www.scribus.net/> is the free DTP package to watch.

>yeah, Scribus isn't too bad, but without a publisher file (.pub)

Has M$ published the file format?

>import method there is a very high cost in Migration. NFPs generally
>get cheap Software licenses, but labour still costs the same, Also

cheap != free.

The money is still channelled from their income stream to M$. The
business of NFP's is to provide a service or a product to worthy
targets, not to feed a machine that doesn't need feeding.

>they would still need a copy of Publisher somewhere incase another
>organisation sends them publisher files.

What if another organization sends them Framemaker, inDesign, Quark
or PageStream files?

>I agree with the idea of trying to move people off office, but I don't
>see that NFPs are a good target atm.

The most important thing for non-profit organizatiosn is that they
shouldn't put themselves into a situation where they can be held to
ransom.

That actually applies to all, but is especially important for NFP
because unlike "real businesses", they can't simply increase the
price of their "product" to pay the upgrade fines ermm fees...
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | "Laws do not persuade just because
 X   against HTML mail     |  they threaten."
/ \  and postings          | Lucius Annaeus Seneca, c. 4BC - 65AD.