[plug] ADSL setup on Ubuntu

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Mon Feb 13 21:19:32 WST 2006

On 13 Feb 2006 at 20:48, richard wrote:

> Hi i was wondering if anyone can help me set up my adsl connection on
> Ubuntu 5.10. I have just received my modem (siemens speedstream 4200) and
> pluged it in (usb). However i am now at a complete loss as to how to
> configure the thing to make it work. I have done  sudo pppoeconf and i
get
> that it cannot detect the modem. i then tried lsusb and the output is
as
> follows: Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0457:0150 Silicon Integrated Systems
Corp.
> Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Bus 004 Device 002: ID 067c:e240
> Efficient Networks, Inc. Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Bus 003
Device
> 001: ID 0000:0000 Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Bus 001 Device 001:
ID
> 0000:0000
>
> i tried ringing Telstra only to be told that they dont support Linux,
and
> i haven't found anything on google that may help me. Hopeing that
someone
> may be able to help, Thanks in advance Richard Bowles.

Have you read the manual ?????

Does your modem have a web based interface for setup configuration and
management ?

If so use it to set up your connection to your ISP.

Read the manual !!!

Is your modem the same as the one shown at :

http://subscriber.communications.siemens.com/subscriber_networks/4100image
s.shtml

Are you using USB or ethernet to connect the modem to your PC ?

If you are using the ethernet port - install/enable DHCP on your system,
reboot your system and it should all "just work".

Regards Arie