[plug] alternative business strategy?

caston at arach.net.au caston at arach.net.au
Tue Feb 14 21:13:35 WST 2006

Quoting Bernd Felsche <bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au>:

> Quintin Lette <qlette at gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> Has M$ published the file format?
>
> >Highly unlikely that they have or ever will...
>
> >> cheap != free.
>
> >free software also != cheap

Don't forget that in China the average worker would have to spend four months
salary to buy a copy of Windows XP. There was some chart that I saw somewhere
that showed all the different figures for all the different countries but I
can't find it now.

In countries where the exchange rate of their currency is low (either because
they are undeveloped or just choose not to float it on the global market to
keep their exports strong) then it is much easier to justify using FOSS.

regards,

Chris