[plug] linux 2 linux networking?

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 20 14:12:06 WST 2006

>Sorry for not answering earlier, but to be honest, I thought you were
>joking when you asked for help, since you write for Tux mag and you know
>more than than almost anyone else I know about setting up video
>players.

Cheers for all that, hehe. :) Something I must say in front of everyone, and
encourage others to do also: I write for Tux magazine BECAUSE I AM NOT AN
EXPERT, which I feel is very important as a writer. I became a writer
because I was not satisfied with the current Linux magazines, most of the
tutorials seem to be for people who have twenty years of experience! The
more advanced you are as a user/writer, the more knowledge you assume on the
part of the reader, and forget to include the fundamental 'in-between' steps
that newbies need.

In the case of networking, I'm definitely not an expert! I have networked
Linux boxes with Windows boxes, but when I finally got around to setting up
two lin boxes, I didn't have a clue what to do (I just assumed that it would
be a push over)! In case you're wondering, yes, all this is in aid of an
article for Tux, and for other newbies, please do the same thing if
possible. If you don't know how to do something, then you're in a prime
position to benefit the rest of the community, as your investigations as to
how to achieve a particular task will arm you with the 'in-between' steps
that new users are looking for, that crusty old writers seem no longer
capable of remembering! ;)