[plug] Abuse report bounces: no DNS record

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Mon Feb 20 19:39:05 WST 2006

Monday, 20 February 2006 18:55, Richard Meyer wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 18:32 +0800, Alex Nordstrom wrote:
> > $ whois 125.249.145.131
> >
> > person:       Jihyun Jeon
> > nic-hdl:      JJ207-AP
> > e-mail:       jjh83 at dacom.net
>
> What about the dacom.net addresses here?

Non-standard contact addresses, especially those at domains other than
the registered domain are almost always invalid. This is particularly
true for mismanaged TLDs like kr. Reports to that address
unsurprisingly bounce with the following message:

$)C 8^=CAv

   A&8q : SSH attack from 125.249.145.131

 9h4^5GAv   >J@= ::

  jjh83 at dacom.net

 @L@/ ::

  User jjh83 (jjh83 at dacom.net) not listed in public Name & Address Book

So I have reported the domain to RFCI for incorrect whois information
primarily on the basis of this (also including the DNS-based bounces
for completeness), but I am still wondering how to proceed with the
issue of the APNIC registry containing IP ranges registered to
nonexistant domains.

I also find it rude to call people 8^=CAv like that. ;)

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/