[plug] Abuse report bounces: no DNS record

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Mon Feb 20 20:00:47 WST 2006

Monday, 20 February 2006 19:34, Ben Jensz wrote:
> I don't think you'll even get anywhere with them even if you find an
> email address to send your abuse complaint to.

You are probably correct. While reporting in general is somewhat
effective (I've managed to get about a dozen zombies shut down in the
last month or so), I have no faith whatsoever that South Korean
operators (or legislators) will evolve competence any time soon.

>  The box thats hitting you has probably been exploited or is running
> something badly configured anyway, my Postfix server is being hit by
> an IP in a subnet close to that one thats hitting you that appears to
> be an Open Proxy.

If you do not have any business with South Korea and/or China, dropping
anything from IP addresses known to belong to those countries. I start
with the Sinokorean list at okean.com[1] and just generalise the rules.
Apparently this attacker was not included in the list I had, though
(which might be outdated).

[1] http://www.okean.com/antispam/iptables/iptables.html

I'm considering blocking Taiwan in a similar fashion if they don't show
any signs of getting their act together.

Of course, if you do this for the general case, and you also have a
domain name providing abusable services at this domain name, it is
still an obligation to accept e-mails to abuse and postmaster at that
domain, even from the axis of network abuse.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/