[plug] mitsumi sr244w1 cd-rom drive (slim)

Ranz ranz at devdata.net
Tue Feb 21 10:10:13 WST 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 10:07 +0800, Clare Johnstone wrote:
> On 2/18/06, Ranz <ranz at devdata.net> wrote:

> I have twice had that happen due to bios needing a tweak..
> clare
> _____
I found out it was the way the BIOS was playing around with SATA drives.

Basically, there's a setting in some BIOS's that is called
"Compatibility Mode" which tricks the OS to thinking that it has IDE
drives. I disabled this (by putting it into "Enhanced" mode) and it then
was able to recognise the CDROM.

I guess the reason for this was probably that Debian is too smart for
the "trick" however, the CDROM wasn't able to mount as a primary IDE
drive - as it was being overwritten by the BIOS trickery.

Hope this will help others.

--
Cheers,

Ranz