[plug] Quick shell help please

Rennie rennie.barnett at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 07:03:08 WST 2006

I'm trying to remove heaps of duplicate packages (rpm) from my suse
box - I will expand upon this later if anybody is interested.

I've been able to produce a file listing all the duplicate packages -
one package per line - and use this to feed in to rpm -q to give me
another file - duplicatePackageVersions.txt - listing the offending
packages and the versions installed (x2).

So what I'd like to do is use, as input for "rpm -e", every second
line of duplicatePackageVersions.txt. I'm sure this is an easy one for
you far more experienced that I.

This I find is the quintessential experience when getting to know the
power Linux/UNIX (the shell stuff, not the duplicate packages) - the
old learning-brick wall. Great to know I have a resource such as the
PLUG mailing list - like having a Linux guru in your pocket.

Thanks,

Rennie