[plug] 2 x dual head :)

Kirk Turner gameldar at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 10:13:03 WST 2006

> Has anyone run/got more than 1 video card running at the same time
> and if so, was there any major hassels?
I used to run dual monitors off two graphics cards - there aren't any
major hassles because the Xorg or XFree86 config takes control. The
only issue I had is that my bios wouldn't remember that I wanted my
AGP card to be the primary card, rather than the PCI one, so my
secondary screen was what I would have to use if I was working in the
virtual console (i.e. when rebuilding nvidia drivers after an update).

I wasn't running in xineramia (sp?) mode - but had two independent
desktops. Worked well for me - you just had to get used to loading the
application in the right screen (I believe there is some work going on
to allow transfering of windows between desktops.. but is a long way
off). Xineramia was a pain when I first tried it because my cards
could support the same resolution so dragging windows around (and
particularly because the bottom menu bar extended across both screens)
 would do funny things to my eyes.

But now I'm back to one screen - and I think I get more work done
because my email isn't always available to read :) But for working
from a reference in a browser in whatever I'm doing (ie code examples)
- two screens was great.

Kirk