[plug] decent dual head card with xinerama on X 6.9/7.0?

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Wed Feb 22 20:49:54 WST 2006

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 12:51 pm, simon wrote:
> Mike Holland (myk.list at westnet.com.au) wrote:
> > Leon Brooks wrote:
> > > The multi-head Radeons have a Xinerama-like mode (MergedFB) which
> > > treats multiple screens as a single surface on multiple displays at the
> > > hardware level. This means you get full-blast performance at a slight
> >
> > BTW, Works well, unless your displays are of different size, as the
> > virtual desktop must be rectangular.
>
> Does KDE/Gnome cope well with it?

KDE works well with 2.6.14 kernel and X 6.8 on a Radeon 9250 , at 1280x1024 on
dual LCD monitors. I haven't tried Gnome. Would 6.9/7.0 be different?

 I run a dual boot Debian Stable/Win-2000 system in an intel shuttle case, and
both OS's handle the dual screens well as long as the digital port is used as
the primary screen. I spent ages trying to make the analogue RGB port be the
master under Linux (because that's the way I had it hooked up to start with),
but didn't seem to work setting primary and secondary screen parameters it in
the config file.

The other thing I like is that the 9250 is passively cooled, and fits well up
against the vents in the side of the case.

In reference to another thread, it also works well with the primary monitor,
mouse and keyboard through a cheapie 'Laser' 4-way KVM ($39 including cables!
from Makro). Maybe that's because I have only defined the one resolution.

Steve

--
Steve Boak, P.O. Box 240, Nannup, WA 6275
Nannup Telecentre IT support, ph (08) 9756 3022