[plug] LILO, I mean LI

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz_g at arach.net.au
Thu Feb 23 10:30:45 WST 2006

Jonathan Young wrote:
> On 2/23/2006, "W.Kenworthy" <billk at iinet.net.au> wrote:
>

>>Usual cause is that lilo cant find part of the kernel on the disk.  lilo
>>embeds a low level pointer to the kernel, so if you have made any
>>changes it needs to update its information.
>>
>>'man lilo'
>>'lilo -v'
>>
>>better fix, remove lilo and install grub.  A one time only 'pain' - lilo
>>being a rolling one!
>>

> Thanks!
>
> Two problems though:
>
> (1) No LILO on the Live CD I've got.  Can I run it from the drive I am
> trying to repair?
>
> (2) I know not Grub!  (But I'm willing to learn.)
>
> - Jonathan.

Run from the live cd, mount your hard drive(s) and partition(s). For
example, I have a computer with the following scheme:
/dev/hda1 (normally /boot)
/dev/hda2 (normally /swap)
/dev/hda3 (normally /)

So once I go live, first thing I do is
# swapon /dev/hda2
(for extra swap space; live cds can run rampant sometimes).
Then create a mount point in the live fs.
# mkdir /tg1
# mount /dev/hda3 /tg1
# mount /dev/hda1 /tg1/boot
# mount -t proc none /tg1/proc
Now you want to enter this environment
# chroot /tg1 /bin/bash
# source /etc/profile

Now you're "in" the system on the HDD; you can just run
# lilo -v
after making sure your /etc/lilo.conf is correct.

See how you go.
Tomasz