[plug] LILO, I mean LI

Shannon Carver Shannon.Carver at P-S-T.COM.AU
Thu Feb 23 11:56:02 WST 2006

Yep, I've done this..

lilo -r /mnt/ -C /mnt/etc/lilo.conf

  _____

From: plug-bounces at plug.org.au [mailto:plug-bounces at plug.org.au] On
Behalf Of John Usher
Sent: Thursday, 23 February 2006 11:51 AM
To: plug at plug.org.au
Subject: Re: [plug] LILO, I mean LI

I thought lilo could handle being run without chroot but passing a file
system root parameter - eg if your filesystem is mounted on /mnt
temporarily then you pass --root=/mnt (example parameter, not the real
thing, the man page is your friend). It will then also look for all
files (and place all necessary files) relative to that path.

Pretty certain that this is how installers run lilo without having to
chroot, and I'm also fairly certain I have done it myself this way.

On Thu Feb 23 11:27 , 'Jonathan Young' <jonathan at pcphix.com> sent:

	OK, fstab reports hda1 is swap and hda2 is / (ext3) and no other
	paritions proc mounted from /proc (which as I understand it
means from /
	once it is mounted.

	Therefore, I have all the info I need to chroot and run Lilo if
a simple
	edit of lilo.conf does not work (remove the -menu bit) so that
it
	reflects the files that are there.

	or can I rename /boot/boot.b to /boot/boot-menu.b ??

	I was actually considering downloading the lilo for Ubuntu and
installing
	it to my Live installation but chroot is a much smarter
solution.

	Either way, my current conerns are:

	(see previous posts)
	like a regular file - what's the deal (clearly a gap in my
knowledge
	here)?

	Any final suggestions before I chroot and blow Lilo away?

	On 2/23/2006, "Jonathan Young" <jonathan at pcphix.com

<javascript:top.opencompose('senectus at gmail.com','','','')> > wrote:

	>>On 2/23/06, Jonathan Young <jonathan at pcphix.com
<javascript:top.opencompose('jonathan at pcphix.com','','','')> > wrote:

	>>> I'm working through it slowly. My main problem is I don't
know the
	>>> layout of this drive (new client).
	>>>
	>>> I know hda1 is swap and hda2 is the root/main partition.
	>>> Anyway to find out if there are any others? Just mount them
in sequence?

	>>/etc/fstab should give you the lowdown on how it's normally
setup..

	--
	Jonathan Young
	Director of PC-PHIX