[plug] dual boot XP dominates

simon simon at chrome64.org
Thu Feb 23 16:40:12 WST 2006

Chris Caston (caston at arach.net.au) wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 16:16, Shannon Carver wrote:
> > The bonus you've always got with this setup, if your not worried about
> > borking your linux installation (which you aren't... Yet!), is that if
> > you stuff up your boot sector/MBR you can always just put the XP disc
> > in, go to rescue mode and type fixmbr to correct the problem.  Well,
> > that'll "correct" the problem by making Windows the bootloader again.
> >
> > I've never used Mandriva to test it, but I've installed SuSE and Ubuntu
> > on client machines and my laptop, and they're VERY Windows/Dual boot
> > happy.  Both, happily install the grub boot loader with the Windows all
> > setup and working correctly as it was before.  I can't see any reason
> > why Mandriva wouldn't do this as well.
> >
> > Shannon
>
> Try kubuntu
>
> ubcd has a mbr utility that I used when I was removing Linux from a dual
> boot lappy that I gave away a couple of days ago.

My guess would be that Shannon accidentally told the installer to put the boot
record in the boot partition rather than the MBR (or whatever the 'other'
option is that Ive never used).

Either boot a rescue disk, fix the grub conf and reapply, or just reinstall
and be a bit more careful :D

--
Simon Scott
simon at chrome64.org