[plug] cannot browse Internet

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Sun Feb 26 14:13:41 WST 2006

Having some issues where all PC's (windows and Linux) cannot browse the Internet.  When I do a ping to any domain/website I get replies ok.  If I do a telnet I get a disconnection /cannot connect message.  Yet if I web browse to my ISP (Amcom) it brings up their webpage and I can do the same to bring my own up (across a VPN connection).
Initially I thought it was our firewall, but for port 80/http request from the Cisco router we go directly to the Internet..  from the Office router and firewall I can telnet to port 80/http.

I'm stumped as to what could be preventing port 80 requests.  Using ethereal I can see SYN packets only.  I can however see that something from my workstation is trying to contact kernel.org (although) this is on a Windows desktop (XPPSP2).

I've done a scan for viruses and spyware, I can see that my anti-virus scanner is shutdown which makes me thing this is a virus at work.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Jon