[plug] red hat upgrade

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Mon Jan 2 07:55:28 WST 2006

On Sunday 01 January 2006 18:52, Jon Miller wrote:
> Like to know if it's possible to update rh7.2 to latest version of
> fedora without breaking apps like mysql

You will at the very least have to do a complete database dump (out to a
text file) before doing the upgrade. You will likely need to tweak the
SQL dump as well to make it reload without error, for a large jump in
versions.

If this is mission-critical, I recommend borrowing another machine,
doing the database dump, copying (fdisk the new drive and dd each
partition) your system across to the new drive, and let Fedora upgrade
that. If you can get the copy working, you then know what is needed to
make the live system work. If you run into problems, it is a *lot*
easier to discard an offline copy than to revert a live system.

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia