[plug] anyone know how to play wmv files under linux?

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Thu Jan 5 07:46:08 WST 2006

On Wednesday 04 January 2006 22:35, David Buddrige wrote:
> I get funny videos from time 2 time [at work] that are .wmv files.  I
> only run linux at home, and want to show my wife - I've tried
> realplayer for linux, as well as ogle, and Totem movie player, but so
> far with no luck.  Is there some driver/config somewhere I can
> download that would allow me to play .wmv files under linux?

I use MPlayer.

You also need the Win32 Codec collection, which is typically not part of
the main distro. Running Mandriva, you need to add a PLF source and
install "win32-codecs". Other distros, other methods. The current
version of win32-codecs is 1.7.

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia