[plug] system hangs after kernel upgrade

Lance Duivenbode lduivenb-mlist at iinet.net.au
Thu Jan 5 12:28:36 WST 2006

Jon,

I'm not sure about aptitude, but I know that when I upgrade machines
from a 2.4 kernel to a 2.6 kernel apt usually displays a message before
installing the image. This message states (and repeats) the need to
manually insert the 'initrd' parameter to your boot loader config and
requires you to enter 'Y' so you are you you want to proceed.

For GRUB, all you need to add is the line:

initrd /initrd.img

to your /boot/grub/menu.lst file at the appropriate location (note that
it is '.lst' with a lowercase 'L' not the number '1').

For LILO you need to add the line

initrd = /initrd.img

to your /etc/lilo.conf file at the appropriate location.

Finally, note that Debian usually creates a symlink at /initrd.img to
the latest version of the init image. If you want to run multiple custom
kernels, then the above lines need to be changed to point to the correct
init file.

Hope this helps,
Lance