[plug] Overclocking a CPU

Ari Finander outrider at operamail.com
Sat Jan 7 21:07:23 WST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "l anderson" <easygoing at aijv.com.au>
To: plug at plug.org.au
Subject: [plug] Overclocking a CPU
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 10:14:02 +0800

> Howdy,
> Did everyone have an enjoyable XMAS/New Year.
>
> What needs to be carried out to overclock the CPU on an HP Vectra VE, CPU's
> present speed is set at 233Mhz which is I believe the standard setting.
> How far can we push the speed without overclocking to far.
> This will be my first attempt at overclocking.

I suspect the BIOS may not even let you.

> I also wish to add a second hdd as the original is very small.
> Adding a second disk is in it self simple enough The jumper settings
> should be ?????.
> Several attempts so far have been unsucessfull in this area.

Probably because the BIOS is so old that it can't see anything larger than 8GB, and anything larger may even cause the system not to POST.

> Intend using the original disk for the OS, everthing else will reside on
> the second disk.
>
> The project for this machine will need to run MS I am sad to say.
>
> Appreciate any help.

Which MS operating system? If it's XP, guy a cheap second hand box in the Quokka or go to usenet to wa.ads.forsale and post a wanted ad. I'm afraid I don't have any more old systems to offer you for sale at the moment. That said, computer retailers have some pretty good barebones systems available if you already have an OS.

Cheers,

Ari