[plug] AS/400 and Linux

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Mon Jan 9 16:38:34 WST 2006

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Craig Ringer wrote:

> Peter Tran wrote:
>> Bret Busby wrote:
>>
>> "We don't know, since Peter said nothing about it beyond asking for help
>> with getting Linux on it."
>>
>> Funny how people just assume that you're stupid for trying something
>> different, Bret I thank you for looking outside the square.
>
> I find this amusing, since I said that in response to Bret. Not to worry.

I think that people who have been following the thread, and/or who have
not deleted the preceding messages in the thread, would be able to
regress and find who wrote what.

What happened above, is one of those inadvertent misquotes, due to
erroneous snipping for conciseness.

I think that Peter will not be the first, or the last, to make the
mistake.

I think that, whilst Peter's sentence above, is apparently in response
to the comment from Craig (as the only text preceding Peter's comment in
the message), Peter's sentence could also (and, could have been
intended to) be a response to my comments in the message to which Craig
was responding.

Anyway, the issue remains - just because someone questions the
usefulness of doing something new, does not mean that it should not be
done. After all, apart from the examples that I already cited, it should
be remembered that Bool created his boolean algebra, centuries before it
had any application, and, boolean algebra is now very useful (although,
may would probably still regard it as a pain in the unmentionables).
And, without boolean algebra, digital computing and electronics might
not be so easy to understand.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale