[plug] AS/400 and Linux

Peter Tran intra at sonnet-tech.com.au
Tue Jan 10 09:11:34 WST 2006

-----Original Message-----
Mark Bailey Wrote:

"The machine Peter is talking about is as follows....

720 (#2064) 4 way CPW 1600 -
Version 5.2 with Query and OS400 software
Disk space = 224 GB with 3584 MB memory
Ethernet 2838"

Well Ryan (from the list) and I had a bit of baseball bat session with the
AS/400 machine. We both were quite bewildered as we both are currently x86
people, one thing we did learn was that IBM really have horrid command name
schemes (e.g. Strsst, NWSD, DASD DSPSYSVAL). I guess if you grew up around
OS/400 it would make a lot more sense, but for my feeble mind.....

Ryan and I fumbled our way and were able to remove three of the processors
out of the primary partition and free up 3 GB of memory for creation of a
secondary partition. It was quite an achievement for the day, we were about
to create a secondary partition however we could not find any spare
resources to allocate to the secondary partition for some strange reason.

Idea's anyone?

Anyways here's a photo that Ryan kindly took of the machine.

http://intra.id.au/gallery/v/intra/Technology/as400/

Regards

Pete.