[plug] mail command

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Tue Jan 10 09:38:25 WST 2006

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 09:23:07AM +0800, Jon  Miller wrote:
> in a script I need to use mail to send a subject of test to a user
> using #mail usrname -s test
> Isn't completing the function.  How do I get it to complete the process

It's waiting for you to type the body of the email.  Try one of these:

  $ mail -s test username < body

  $ echo message | mail -s test username

Or if you want to send an empty message:

  $ mail -s test username < /dev/null

-- Fortune says:
What you end up with, after running an operating system concept through
these many marketing coffee filters, is something not unlike plain hot
water.
	-- Matt Welsh