[plug] Grub / Red Hat Issues

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz_g at arach.net.au
Wed Jan 11 13:14:14 WST 2006

Quoting Jonathan Young <jonathan at pcphix.com>:

> Hi All - Happy New Year!
>
> Currently having a problem with a server that has worked well for the
> past 5 years or so.  There has been discussion of upgrading it the next
> time a problem should be encountered, but since everyone has been
> working so smoothly it has just been left alone apart from hardware
> maintenance.
>
> It is a Red Hat installation on a fairly reasonable PC (approx AMD
> 2.5GHz) that acts as mail server (Qmail), Samba server/PDC and runs a
> tape backup (which should hold a complete copy of the server as of last
> night) which backs up everything from config to user data.  Without this
> PC, the rest of the network are just empty Windows boxes which would not
> be missed by anyone.
>
> My client for some unknown reason turned the power off while the server
> was busy doing something and corrupted X Windows' graphical logon.
> This appeared to be the only damage and it booted cleanly and continued
> working.  I was away from Perth so I could not do much more than warn
> them of the dangers of killing a Linux box mid-flight, told them to
> manually back up should something have damamged the backup job and I
> promised to take a look when I returned this week.
>
> That appeared to be the extent of the damage and was over 2 weeks ago so
> I was only moderately concerned.  However, I was in the process of
> making an appointment with them this week when they complained that mail
> sent in the last 24 hours had not arrived though Outlook claimed to have
> sent it.  A test message to my own address confirmed this problem.  It
> appeared mail was hitting the server but not leaving.
>
> I logged in via SSH and checked the Qmail services - all OK.  Restarted
> them - all OK.  So instead I decided to shut down and watch for errors
> on reboot, especially relating to file system damage to see if any new
> problems had developed.  Plus I have experienced times where Qmail (on
> another server) had refused to send mail, but after a reboot it all came
> good.
>
> After issuing "shutdown -r now" via SSH, the PC rebooted and arrived at
> a Grub screen/prompt.  Limited commands are available and the obvious
> 'boot' returns "you must load a kernel before booting".
>
> FIRST QUESTION:
>
> Any Grub gurus out there know what sequence of commands might get things
> moving or what the likely problem is?  An onsite visit today is just
> about impossible, but if I can get the server even partially started, I
> may get some clues or a chance to SSH back in and continue work on the
> problem.

If you can get to grub.conf (or menu.conf) syntax, the prompt you're seeing is
basically that.
(for example)
# kernel=/vmlinuz-2.6.whatever root=/dev/hda3
# initrd=/initrd-2.6.whatever
# boot
Should get your system up. (tab-completion works so hopefully you'll get the
right filenames..)

> SECOND QUESTION:
>
> Besides Leon, who I have already spoken to and confirmed is busy at
> present, is there anyone in the field of mobile computer repair who
> could help out onsite in Bayswater/Morley with Grub / Red Hat?   Since I
> am unfortunately a mere beginner with both.

I can help..

> Meantime my client is basically network-less and will be cursing me even
> though they have done this to themselves.  I am looking for assistance,
> preferably, onsite and during business hours.
>
> - Jonathan, 0410 455 674.

Hrm well I'm at work now but drop me an email directly if you like and if you
get no better offers then I can aid..

Cheers,
Tomasz