[plug] Fonts for LCD monitor

Mike Holland myk.list at westnet.com.au
Fri Jan 13 17:28:30 WST 2006

Adam Ashley wrote:
> I've not found any consistency to manfacturers ordering of subpixels.
> Just a case of trying each one till you find what looks best. Also if a
> system is switched from a CRT to an LCD there is a good chance subpixel
> ordering isnt switched on at all which will result in bad looking fonts.

Adam,
That could be me. I've just switched to LCD, and sub-pixel smoothing was
off until now. Using a magnifying glass (getting old) I see it is RGB.
So I set that, but can barely tell the difference. Yes, LCDs look awful
without any anti-aliasing, but should the sub-pixel make a big
difference?   Maybe its my font?   Gnome is using the
"sans serif" system font, which looks good to me on LCD. Firefox is
similar. What fonts do you suggest?
    Is it better to be downloading a non-free font? (or copying from XP?)
The display is using VGA, but does a very nice job of mapping the pixels.

Mike.