[plug] knoppix not recognising or powering USB

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jan 16 13:59:59 WST 2006

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 01:12:09PM +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> I have a very new model samsung M50 laptop here (new enough to have a
> sata 2.5" hard drive!!), and all in all knoppix works wonderfully,
> except it seems to not power any of the USB ports.
[...]

The current Knoppix 4.0.2 from September is using Linux kernel 2.6.12 -
perhaps you need a newer one. If "lsmod" doesn't show any USB drivers
(ohci_hcd, etc), you can try modprobing them (ehci-hcd / ohci-hcd /
uhci-hcd).

There was a USB speed problem:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=97923#97923

ruymbeke Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:16 am
Subject: Knoppix 4.02 USB2 fix: linuxrc boot script in minird fixed
  The Knoppix 4.02 cd and dvd release have a typo bug in the linuxrc boot
  script which prevent the USB port to work in the USB2 high speed mode.
  Only the USB1 compatible mode was enabled having about 1MB/Sec of
  transfert rate instead of the +20MB/Sec as expected.  This is really
  ennoying, especially when booting Knoppix from the ISO cd image located
  on a USB dongle or an external USB HDD.
  cf: http://lists.debian.org/debian-knoppix/2005/12/msg00031.html
  Thank you Sergej for the patch.
  I have patched the linuxrc boot script and updated the minirt boot script.
   Please find below the download link: (ntfs, reiser, iso, host & usb2)
  http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/minirt_usb2.gz
  http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/usb_dgle4.zip (for usb dongle)
  Best Regards,
  Gilles

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal