[plug] SuSE 10 OSS x86-64 Slow

Randal Adamson ranz at devdata.net
Tue Jan 17 16:37:48 WST 2006

Hi All,

I have installed SuSE 10 OSS x86-64 - am using it right now.

I've noticed that it is really slow and was wondering if anyone else had
similar issues.

Hardware:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
1GB RAM
Shuttle Mobo/Case (Nforce chipset)

I have it running on an ATI 9600 GPU in "Big Desktop" format - by
running the fglrxconfig program - I managed to get "xinerama" equiv
setup on my xorg.conf - after "attempting" to do it via editing the
xorg.conf file manually failed. Perhaps this is a cause? When running it
in "Single" screen mode - it is a little more responsive - but still not
anywhere near it should be on these hardware specs.

Like I scroll up and down in firefox and it makes CPU usage go 100%. I
also move windows around the desktop and it causes it max out the cpu.
Applications are also slow.

Any ideas?