[plug] Help! Can't stop mdadm from picking up hda1 on reboot

Ari Finander outrider at operamail.com
Sat Jan 21 23:01:25 WST 2006

Hi all,

I had a 200GB RAID1 array set up with mdadm on a Fedora Core 3 box, but it ran out of free space. So, I am trying to separate the drives, hda1 and hdc1, in order to double my storage space (I already have a backup strategy in place to backup 400GB of data, when I get to that point). I stopped /dev/md0 and changed /etc/fstab to reflect the separate drives (mounted as /pub1 and /pub2 now). However, when I reboot I get the error that /dev/hda1 is already mounted or /pub1 is busy (the first errors I got were  filesystem errors on /dev/hda1 which I fixed with fsck.ext3). /dev/hdc1 automounts to /pub2 just fine! Each time I reboot I have to do:
mdadm -S /dev/md0
mdadm -r /dev/hda1
mount /dev/hda1
in order to get /dev/hda1 to mount to /pub1

It may or may not be relevant, but after separating the drives and formatting (mkfs.ext3 -j -m 0 /dev/hdc1) I ended up with errors moving a directory to /pub2 (/dev/hdc1) where it reported that /dev/hda1 was read only and it couldn't remove the files, although it DID copy them all. This happened for the last 20GB out of 100GB transfered to /pub2 (/dev/hdc1). It was after this that I ran the hard drive manufacturers' diagnostics software on all drives (including that which holds the root filesystem) and when I rebooted it gave me the file system errors on /dev/hda1.

What am I doing wrong? Please help!?

Ari