[plug] vSat 2-way

Joel at Plug jjohnson at westnet.com.au
Mon Jan 23 16:02:00 WST 2006

I have a client who has a vSat 2-way satellite service with BorderNET.
They basically come out, install the dish on the roof and set up a modem
(supplied by them) that does all of the authenticating, communications
etc. You then just plug it into a broadband router, such as the Netgear
WGR614, and plug your computers into the ports on the broadband router.

Just like with most other ISP's, it shouldn't matter what OS is being
used as there is no client software. The WGR614 does all of the DHCP,
NAT, SPI etc between you and the BorderNet equipment. BorderNET supplies
you with two IP addresses (10.x.x.x) to use - one is for the modem to
use as your gateway IP and the other is for the WAN side of the
broadband router.

If you only have a single computer you can skip the use of the broadband
router and just use a cross-over cable - personally though I'd rather
have a hardware-based firewall between me and someone else's network.

Haven't plugged a Linux machine into yet (plan on doing that next trip)
but as the router sits between everything it should work seamlessly.

When an ISP says they won't support Linux - it usually just means that
if you use Linux as your OS then you're on your own if things go wrong
or if you can't connect.

Joel