[plug] Foxtel Digital via analog input with MythTV

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Jan 25 19:13:37 WST 2006

I tried this but the hardware I was using at the time didnt like the
Fusion card and its v4L.

I want to try it again soon, but in the meantime I am using the analog
input of an ancient V4L analog tuner card for FoxTel alongside the
Fusion card on different hardware.  It is something like 720x568 raw and
is similar in visual quality to DVB when running mythtv at 1024x768 on X
(i.e., excellent on my crappy old 30" TV) - I think the fusion is
similar and the screen shots I did get off it at the time were OK.

I suspect then that you may be having resolution problems (causing
aliasing) as you are using 800x600 - try a higher resolution in X and
see if that helps.  Also try using v4lctl to trap an image directly from
the v4l device instead of a screen dump to try and narrow things down a
bit.  Also, is it possible that you are using the wrong Foxtel output -
some of the connectors dont follow the standard pinout diagrams I had
which gave me crappy B&W pictures until I realised what was wrong.

Lastly, try hitting the "w" key to change displayed screen size in myth
to see if if that gives a clue - it seems "stretched" in the Y direction
in the screendump.

BillK

On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 18:42 +0800, nigel at dubh.id.au wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have HD tv working fine with a Dvico FusionHDTV Plus card in
> Mythtv. I connected the Foxtel RCA cable to the composite in on
> the Dvico card and set the connection up as a V4L connection in
> the capture cards section of Mythtv.
>
> The quality is very poor. I have a screenshot at;
>
> http://dubh.id.au/images/Screenshot.png
>
> I take it that just because the DVB side of things is set up
> correctly it doesn't mean that the V4L is? Anyone have a similar
> setup and can give me any pointers?
>
> Output of lsmod, /proc, dmesg etc upon request.
>
> Thanks
>
> Nigel

Home!