[plug] lilo error message 0x40 and BIOS data check successful

Clare Johnstone claregj at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 09:51:12 WST 2006

On 1/25/06, Craig Foster <craig at fostware.net> wrote:

> > http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
> > There are several utilities available for download from this page.
> >
> > Could it be possible that the drive in question is an IBM model ?
> > Regards Arie
       (THanks Arie, One of the best manufacturer pages I have seen;
        Serial number doesn't say IBM.)

> Google for Hiren's Boot CD (I think it's up to 7.6 by now)
> It's a boot cd with a lot of custom and grey software... But most
> importantly it has the diagnostic disks of pretty much all HDD
> manufacturers...
      Thanks for that too. I do have one called Ultimatel Boot CD,
     which has the IBM/Hitachi hdd tester on it which finds nothing wrong.
      I will get this other later today and try it. So I thought. I
have wasted a
     lot of time trying to find it; but my heart is unbroken, as the
list of contents
     shows a lot of proprietary stuff which is a waste of time for me anyway.

So thanks all, time will tell if it dies or recovers.
cheers
clare johnstone