[plug] open office

Alex Polglaze apolglaze at book-keepingnetwork.com.au
Tue Jan 31 14:25:25 WST 2006

Thanks to all who replied.

>> Is Open Office spreadsheet as good as Excel?
>

> It depends on what you're doing. In some ways it's better, in other ways
> it's still rather limited. OO.o 1.1's spreadsheet was awful, but 2.0
> seems to be reasonably functional (especially now that they've fixed
> array formulae).
>
> You're better off qualifying that question based on what you need to do
> with it.

I have been using Lotus 1-2-3 for about 20 years and have progressively been moving
everything to OO. However,  I have been getting increasingly frustrated with OO because I
am unable to do things that I have become accustomed to in 123. This has meant that I have
to save the SS as a .xls, whip over to 123 and do what I want, save it again as a .xls and
then open it again in OO, as OO hasn't been able to translate any of the modern (read 7
years) formats of 123.

So I guess I was fishing to see if OO is better than excel, but, as I have concluded, not
yet as good as 123.

Alex