[plug] Getting data off a damaged DVD

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Sun Jul 2 16:23:46 WST 2006

On 2 Jul 2006 at 15:43, Gavin Chester wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 23:14 +0800, Gavin Chester wrote:
>
> > Dang! Don't you hate that?  I can't find the app you might want to
> > try :-(
>
> I didn't lose any sleep over looking for this, but I did finally
stumble
> over it again ;-)
>
> Try this link:
> http://www.dvdisaster.de/
>
> Let me know if it's any good.  I had a CD of one of my favourite
artists
> destroyed by a baby and just binned it before I knew about such apps. :-
(

I may be a bit off the mark here, but :

Would it be possible to mount the disc as an image ??

I know that this is possible in Windows - generally used to recover data
from multisession CD's when for some reason the last session on the disc
has been damaged or inadvertently closed, which normally makes all
sessions on the disc become inaccessible.

The software on Windows for this task is part of the Nero suite - and is
called 'driveimage' - it simply mounts an entire CD as an image and
allows direct access to all data on the disc.

Does Linux have a utility or procedure to facilitate this type of access?

OR

Would it be possible to do a raw copy of the data from the disc to a
directory on the hard drive??

Regards Arie