[plug] Getting data off a damaged DVD

philC philcal at smartchat.net.au
Sun Jul 2 21:07:00 WST 2006

Senectus et al

dd is the best lower level copier I know. Any lower and you probably have to
over ride the cd firmware driver, which itself has several layers of error
control ( as every cd will have some errors but crc's and the like make them
not critical).
dd gracfully skips after (several?) tries at bad files, much as cp seems to
do but much quicker- so much so I scrapped the trial cp of cd before it
finished. Much better than windows copy which spits the dummy after
encountering first error. Interestingly the trial dd iso file size was
smaller than the copied contents using cp which hadn't completed it task.

use dd to copy to a file, mount it as type iso and off you go. However if
files are corrupted you'll probably still only have garbage. The key is
knowing whether it is or is not garbage which leads me to my problem:

I have many backup snapshot cd's which I want to consolidate back into one
lot on the hard drive without duplicates. Some of them came back from Middle
East with sand btween them. What I want to do is read the cd directory to
get a file list, then visit each file in the directory list and copy across
if not already in the consolidated target - or skip if file read error. This
needs some sort of timeout control. However Bash shell is not very good at
this. Any suggestions? Possible pseudo code follows.
    call cd read script on a per file basis and run in background with &
    sleep for a timeout period
    check background script still running
        if running kill it (presuming its having a read problem) and mark as
garbage
    loop to next file

Doing it this was is you are less likely to have copied files which you may
think are intact but because of the cd errors are only garbage.

PhilC