[plug] Help needed - front buttons on laptop

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Wed Jul 5 20:11:22 WST 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 20:02 +0800, W.Kenworthy wrote:
> need more info!
>
> Some lappies have the key drivers running in bios, others like my Sony
> now use a windows only module to drive the hardware directly :(  There
> are ways around it, but its specific to the brand/model.
>
> BillK

Hi Bill, it's a Dell Inspiron 6400. I'm not sure exactly how it gets its
keystrokes (from them), but I can intercept and give the keystroke some
meaning. I was able to define one of them to throw F21 when pressed, and
I was able to give Amarok a shortcut of F21, but not give it "Amarok
--start", or any of the other commands.

As I've said, I got the sound up/down/mute working foe 3 keys, but
nothing else. Oh, yes, when I had one key defined as F21 and KDE using
it as a shortcut to Amarok, I was able to start amarok or move it to the
desktop I was busy in by pressing the button.

HTH
RM