[plug] WiFi card question

Adrian Woodley Adrian at ScreamingRoot.org
Thu Jul 6 22:35:23 WST 2006

Chris,

If you absolutely need WPA/WPA2 today, and you don't have a laptop, then
an atheros chipset would be the way to go. Unfortunately, I can't
recommend any actual cards as I haven't bought a wifi card for a couple
of years now.

WPA/WPA2 is worth it in terms of ease of setup and use, as well as
security. You could probably make do with WEP128, provided you changed
your keys every day or so. Alternatively, you could run and open access
point and firewall it off from the rest of your network and allow
through only authenticated SSL services - imaps, smtp/TLS, http proxy
over ssl, etc. You could also run a VPN over the top of a firewalled,
open access point. This will provide you with security as good as, if
not, better than WPA (plus you can use it for remote access away from
home).

If you can wait a bit (maybe 6 months?) there should be a new wifi stack
in the kernel which will provide WPA/WPA2 support for most wifi
chipsets.

Adrian