[plug] WiFi card question

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sat Jul 8 08:49:36 WST 2006

You can get pcmcia adaptors for the cards - adds to the cost.
(e.g.,http://www.expansys.com.au/product.asp?code=PCD-RP-101CE)

The alternative is to get an accesspoint and use that as a node - most
can run either as an AP or a node.  Again, adds to the cost ...

As I said previously, generally avoid the atheros stuff.  (Mine was a
netgear W511T - crap, I also have an atheros based d-link DWL-G650+,
causes hard lockups on the PCMCIA bus of some laptops, and is crap when
it does work), however, a d-link access point using an atheros chipset
(not sure which one, 54g tops) seems quite good - but then again I am
not driving it with madwifi so it just works ...

Best card was an older 802.11b orinoco silver card that had much longer
range, and higher speeds at the extremities than either of the other two
cards (in the same laptop!)

Not sure I would use this, but here is an ipw2200 based pci card:
http://www.passys.nl/tips/tip40_en.htm

Also cards using the broadcom chipset seem good (perhaps better under
ndiswrapper than the ipw2200 does using the OS drivers - faster speeds)
- my wifes dell works great with ndiswrapper.  Also OS drivers for these
cards are in the latest kernel which will make it easier to manage when
they get stable.

BillK

On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 21:39 +0800, Chris Griffin wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> trouble is I am running desktops not laptops. Any other ideas.
> So far the only Atheros based cards I have found are all PC Card/PCMCIA.
>
> Chris G
>
> On 7/6/06, W.Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> > I was running an atheros card (pcmcia, netgear w311T I think) for about
> > 12 months - give em a miss!  Lousy range, flaky madwifi drivers, strange
> > interactions at times with wpa-supplicant.
> >
> > I am now using a ipw2200 based built in a sony vaio
> >
> > BillK
> >
> > On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 19:47 +0800, Chris Griffin wrote:
> > > Hi Adrian,
> > >
> > > many thanks for the response. From what you have indicated I would

Home!