[plug] apt-get and pdiff files

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Mon Jul 10 09:45:40 WST 2006

Hi Everybody

A couple of days ago I did an update/upgrade on debian testing, and now
apt-get update (version 0.6.44.2) is pulling in pdiff files instead of the
full package lists. According to a quick search it seems to be 'the new way',
but information is scarce. It cuts my apt-get update from over 8mb to 354kb,
which would seem to be good.

I've tried 'apt-get -s upgrade' which looks OK, but, before I actually try
doing my next upgrade, does anyone have any experience with this new feature,
and is it working properly?

Some links:
<http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=2295393>
<http://www.webservertalk.com/archive97-2005-10-1197317.html>
<http://www.nabble.com/Bug-366795:-apt-0.6.44-downloads-pdiff-files-p4337209.html>

Steve

--
Steve Boak, P.O. Box 240, Nannup, WA 6275
Nannup Telecentre IT support, ph (08) 9756 3022