[plug] ACPI events and low battery

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Mon Jul 10 14:08:50 WST 2006

G'day all,

I'm running s self compiled 2.6.17.3 kernel and Ubuntu 6.06 as a base system.

gnome-power-manager has a groovy option to do something on a critical battery event. I have mine set
to hibernate. The problem is with this lovely laptop, the critical level is either on or about the
point where it really is critical, and the laptop powers down before the even seems to even fire.

On my old machine I had a script that started on boot and ran full time that polled acpid every 30
seconds and hibernated the machine when the battery reached 4% (which was about the death knock for
that old clunker). I'd like to have something that hibernates this one at about 2% (which is 9 mins
remaining on this machine with the small battery).

Does anyone have any experience playing with acpi and what events it might generate before I go and
spend a whole heap of time figuring out the best way to do this?

Brad