[plug] Nautilus Annoyance

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 12:12:31 WST 2006

Recently I converted my Aunt to Linux, because windows died
completely. She's been dual booting for awhile, which has lead to an
interesting file system setup. /home/linda is on the root partition,
and /home/linda/Documents is on another partition, mounted there via a
bind mount. Both file systems are ext3, and the file permissions are
correct for her user.

Unfortunately, Nautilus can't move files between filesystems for some
reason... This means, you can't "Move to Trash" anything under
/home/linda/Documents, because /home/linda/.Trash is on a different
filesystemp. Even putting .Trash on the same partition as Documents
didn't cure this. So we learnt to live without Trash... Strike one.

Now we have another problem. She has a folder /home/linda/Pictures,
that she wishes to move to /home/linda/Documents....

Error "Not on the same file system" while moving "/home/linda/Pictures"

Now this is just getting ridicules. Since when did Linux have a
problem moving stuff between filesystems? We almost stricked out
earlier with issues with her Camera, which (fingers crossed) is all
resolved now. But this, is beyond a joke. I'm now going to guide her
through the steps of installing Thunar or Rox, just so she can move
her own files around!

Anyone with a solution to this annoyance, without moving her home dir
to the same partition as her Documents, or visa versa, PLEASE let me
know!

Thanks

Tim
p.s. If there  is some really nice config/switch... Please tell me,
I've not used Nautilus for 2 years now....

--
Linux Counter user #273956
Don't email joeblogs at scouts.org.au